Obituary for Andrew Thornton
Andrew M. Thornton was born September 3rd, 1918 in Kalamazoo, Michigan. The son of Clarence and Ida Mumford Thornton, he graduated from Vicksburg High School in 1937. He worked at Van Bochove’s Greenhouse from 1937 to 1942. Thornton was married to Adeline Ketchum on October 6, 1939. He and his wife later served the United States in WWII. Andrew was in the United States Army Air Corps from April 1942 to May 1945 as a technical sergeant on a B-17 bomber, while Adeline was part of the Women’s Auxiliary Corps that General Eisenhower commanded in Algiers, North Africa. Andrew was stationed in Tunis, Tunisia and Foggia, Italy where he completed 50 bombing missions. The two were lucky and spent many three day passes together. “What a way to fight a war.” he quipped. Upon return to the United States, he was stationed in Pueblo, Colorado until the end of his service in 1945. Following his military service, Andrew worked at the Upjohn Company as a laboratory technician for 32 years, retiring in 1977. Thornton traveled with his family throughout the United States and overseas with his wife Adeline. Andrew loved flowers and gardening at his Milwood home, where he lived for 50 years. After Adeline’s passing in January 2000, Andrew made plans to come to Friendship Village. Both his Aunt Betty and Uncle Reed Thornton had lived there, so Andrew knew he would enjoy himself, too. Andrew M. Thornton moved in on July 17, 2001. He was later joined by his “sweetie”, Connie Wright. They spent the next 16 years together. Connie still resides at Friendship Village to this day. Andrew M. Thornton is survived by his sons, David Thornton, Steve Thornton, Thomas R. Thornton, and Keith Thornton; grandchildren, Mark A. Thornton, Jennifer Thornton, Seth Thornton, Angela Gallup, Amie Gallup and Thomas Thornton; great grandchildren Luke David Thornton, Adam Robert Thornton, and Nichole Thornton. Andrew M. Thornton will be laid to rest at Fort Custer National Cemetery on December 14, 2017. Memorials can be made to the Friendship Village Woodshop fund.